Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title||Shoulder Pain among Rehabilitated Spinal Cord-Injured Persons who are Using Manual Propelled Wheelchairs in Gaza Strip: A Survey Study|
Background: Shoulder pain among paraplegic persons has negative effects on their lives. The prevalence of shoulder pain among SCI person varies in different studies between 30% to 70%, and it may be related to repetitive use of shoulder during self care and wheelchair-related activities. Objectives: The overall objective of this study was to describe the prevalence of shoulder pain and its effects on ADL's and social participation among spinal cord-injured paraplegic wheelchair users in Gaza strip. Specific objectives were to investigate the severity of shoulder pain following discharge from rehabilitation, to explore possible risk factors behind shoulder pain, to describe the effect of pain on functional, work and daily living activities, to define the effect of pain on recreational or athletic activities, and to detect the degree of satisfaction about the overall functioning of the shoulder. Study Design: Cross sectional survey design was used. Methods: Eighty rehabilitated paraplegic adult persons with traumatic or nontraumatic spinal cord injury(SCI), who are using manual wheelchairs, and living inGaza strip have participated in this study. After giving informed consent, the subjects were interviewed directly to fill questionnaires including the demographic data ,Wheelchair User’s Shoulder Pain Index (WUSPI) and Shoulder Rating Questionnaire(SRQ) . Collected data was entered and analyzed using Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS). Results: Prevalence rate of shoulder pain among paraplegics who are using manual wheelchair was 62% of subjects. Pushing a wheelchair for 10 min or more , and pushing up ramps or inclines outdoors were the most common activities that cause and exacerbate shoulder pain. Putting on a T-shirt or pullover, putting on a button-down shirt, and loading the wheelchair into a car were the least activities that cause shoulder pain. Sixty four percent from the sample describe their ability to use their shoulder as having no limitation during daily personal and household activities and the remaining faced different degree of limitation, and 74% from the sample reported no limitation during recreational or athletic activities, the rest (26%) agreed that pain has variably limited their participation in these activities. Fourteen percent from the sample showed that the overall degree of satisfaction with their shoulder functioning were fair, and the others rated their satisfaction from good to excellent satisfaction. Conclusion Shoulder pain is common, and a high prevalence rate was observed after traumatic and nontraumatic spinal cord injury. Shoulder pain has a negative effect on activities of daily living especially while pushing wheelchair for 10 min or more, and during pushing the wheelchair up ramps or inclines outdoors.
|Publisher||the islamic university|
|Files in this item|