Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title||Evaluation of Nitrogen Removal Dynamic in Gaza Wastewater Treatment Plant (Gwwtp)|
|Title in Arabic||نقييم ديناميكية ازالة النيتروجين في محطة غزة لمعالجة المياه العادمة|
The lack of wastewater management facilities, infrastructure and human resources in Gaza Governorate has a direct impact to many environmental problems related to public health, marine and coastal pollution. The Gaza Wastewater Treatment Plant (GWWTP) constructed in 1977 was upgraded many times. Currently, the plant received over 60,000 m3 /day. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the nitrogen removal efficiency of each treatment unit of GWWTP through a comprehensive field and laboratory analysis. Grab Samples were collected in wet and dry seasons (winter and summer) for one week lounge for each season from different sampling locations. The related field and laboratory parameters were performed using the facility of Environmental & Earth Science Department and Environmental & Rural Research Center at the Islamic University of Gaza. The results of the c study indicated that the initial concentrations of wastewater parameters at inlet for summer season were higher than those of winter season. In summer, around 28% of TKN removed in the first settling step while only around 8% was removed in the next steps with final total removal of 36%. In winter, the total removal of TKN was around 20% and the in first settling step, the removed was 5.5% only. Organic-N showed the same trend. In addition, the results showed that the settling of organic material in settling ponds play essential role in organic material removal. The concentrations of organic indicators were dropped to nearly half or less at the primary sedimentation stage and continued to drop in the followed treatment units. The final sedimentation stage showed removal percentage of 63, 87% for BOD and 58, 82% for COD in winter and summer samples respectively. The study concluded that a very limited nitrification carried out in bio-tower. The study recommended that the regulatory authority and operator should consider the results of this study as a baseline to evaluate the nitrogen removal in GWWTP after the recent upgrading phase. In addition, nitrogen removal should be considered as a vital topic for any future development of wastewater treatment plants activities.
|Publisher||الجامعة الإسلامية - غزة|
|Files in this item|